December 5, 2016

Standing Rock - And how you can help...






































































Back in Nov I got on a plane and flew to North Dakota to cover what is/was happening at Standing Rock. Why on earth would I get on a plane and go to someplace so cold and miss the state championship game of Kahuku vs St. Louis that I've been covering all season?

Because what is happening is unprecedented. It has been almost 500 years since this many tribes have come together in unity. And to witness first hand the stuff they don't tell you on the news : wow there are snipers on the ridges, how at night there have been planes flying over the camp spraying who knows what, how the police have been militarized to intimidate, how people have been wrongfully imprisoned over what? The fight for use of land that is theirs to begin with.

Also, I knew that me going there and bringing my camera would do a lot more good than any monetary donation I could provide. Saying online I stand in solidarity just wasn't enough.

And here is where you come in. They need your help. Yesterday, Obama stopped the easement of the drilling under the Missouri River which is an AMAZING victory but sadly not the end to what they are fighting for. Today they have to evacuate the camp they've been in since April as ordered by the Army Corp. I don't think they are going anywhere.

So, I've set up a print store where EVERY PENNY SPENT ON PRINTS WILL BE DONATED TO THOSE AT SACRED STONE CAMP.

All of these images, along with a handful more can be found HERE.

Don't want a print and just want to help or support? You can donate directly to them HERE.

A huge mahalo goes out to Alexis and Andrew Dyer who helped facilitate me camping with the Yankton Sioux tribe during my stay. And for being the light people need to see and feel.




3 comments:

Monica Calderin said...

Seriously your best work to date. Sign me up for the book!

Unknown said...

Yeah, these are amazing. Amazing photo journalism! I can just feel the spirit of the camp in all the details, clothes, signs, the flags. I felt like I was there. Bravo friend!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.