August 15, 2008

What I got in the mail today...



So, a couple months back I pre-ordered the One Light DVD from my good friend Zack Arias. I had attended his workshop last year and it was completely monumental. Not only did I learn a ton but I met some of the coolest people there (Ed Pingol and Cliff Brunk, oh and Zack too). If you are looking to learn SIMPLE lighting, don't hesitate and get yourself to a One Light Workshop. C'mon, look at that dudes, goatee, doesn't he just look like someone you want to just hang out with :)?

The best part of the package that came today was the 2 quotes by Edward Weston. I may have not vocalized it on the blog to me Edward Weston has been a HUGE influence to me about the passion of photography. If you are a photographer and have not read his Day Books, close this web browser right now and go to your local library and check them out. NOW, seriously, stop reading and go do it.

These are the 2 quotes I got in the package that are going straight on my office wall:

1."Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

2."The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT."

Thanks Zach for that reminder.

And while I'm at it, here is one other quote of Edward Weston that I live and breathe by...

"Anything that excites me for any reason, I will photograph; not searching for unusual subject matter, but making the commonplace unusual."

That is what I do, professional and personally, constantly making the commonplace unusual.

And if the video above was not enough then check this out...

5 comments:

ed pingol said...

zack is the man!

Ja said...

dude--this dvd looks SUPER!!!! i'd like to watch it sometime.

Anna said...

I love that last quote. I constantly think that your pictures make the commonplace unusual. I've often told my husband how I marvel at the fact you can make a garbage can look good. Literally.

Ashley Thalman said...

awesome! that really put some wind in my sails.

Patria said...

awesome video. best quote- if you are telling yourself you can fix this in photo shop later, put down your camera and slap yourself right now. i loved this video and will look for his workshop- mark