February 13, 2007

Hawaii



Last Nov, I took my whole family to the island of Maui. They stayed for 8 days. I say they as I only stayed for the first 18 hours, then got back on a plane and flew to DC to shoot a wedding and then came back for the last 3.5 days.

Anyway, I went to high school in HI at a school called Kahuku which is located on the North Shore of Oahu. Somehow, it was not that big of a deal to me when I was there. Hindsight is 20/20 right? There is something special about these islands. It does something to me and I love it with all my heart. My wife says its the best de-stressing money can buy. I think she's 100% right.

Believe it or not, we have been to HI as a whole family (kids/infants and all) every year since we have been married (2002) for either weddings or family vacations. Regrettably, I am pretty sure we won't be making to the islands in 2007 due to the future arrival of Lillie Mae in June.

So what do you do when you can't go and every inch of you is itching to be there? Bust out old photos and reminisce.

Like how in 2002 on the honeymoon in Kauai/Maui my wife forgot to put on sunscreen the 1st day and burned to a crisp (made for a wonderful honeymoon).

Or how in 2004 while swimming in the ocean looking at my son and wife as the sun flickered behind them realizing how lucky I am and feeling this utter serene calm.

Or in 2005 discovery Romey's shrimp shack in Kahuku after all those years. Or better yet, sneaking on the Lost set as they thought I was a location scout with all my cameras.

Then in 2006 riding the train with all 3 kids in my lap feeling the ocean breeze.

I miss Hawaii.

No comments: