January 21, 2007

Las Vegas...






I just got back tonight from Andrea & Tanner's wedding at the Las Vegas Temple. It was GREAT weather as it was like 56 which compared to the 12 degrees its been here with snow. Their reception was originally going to be in her back yard with a tent in Summerlin. However, it got moved to the church because it was too cold (but not as cold as here!). Anyway, I walked into the church and I was blown away. I had never seen anything like it. They covered all the walls and ceiling with this white fabric, the inside there was a 30 foot tent made of this white fabric, AMAZING lighting, gerat table settings, a dance floor, I mean, it was unbelievable. It looked so good. I was totally blown away. Obviously, I won't be posting any images in this post as all the film is literally still in my camera bag but when I do, I'll show you how amazing this was.

I was supposed to fly out this morning at like 8am but I rebooked for a later flight so I could go around the strip and shoot some stuff for myself kind of along the lines of the kitschy stuff I did in Reno. I have shot it before with other weddings I have done out here but everytime I did it with a Holga. I have become bored with Holga images (they all look the same to me) but have fallen in love with shooting the E200 Kodak stuff (the exact same stuff I shot in Reno).

Anyway, here are some of the Holga images I took in Vegas a couple years back.

Tomorrow, me and my whole family pile in the mini-van for a road trip to escape this horrid cold. We are going to San Diego to go to Seaworld and a trip up to Disneyland. I am going to be shooting for myself on this trip and hopefully get some images of some Disney characters and more kitschy stuff.



KITSCH

Kitsch is a German term that has been used to categorize art that is considered an inferior copy of an existing style. The term is also used more loosely in referring to any art that is pretentious or in bad taste, and also commercially produced items that are considered trite or crass.

Because the word was brought into use as a response to a large amount of art in the 19th century where the aesthetic of art work was confused with a sense of exaggerated sentimentality or melodrama, kitsch is most closely associated with art that is sentimental; however, it can be used to refer to any type of art that is deficient for similar reasons—whether it tries to appear sentimental, glamorous, theatrical, or creative, kitsch is said to be a gesture imitative of the superficial appearances of art. It is often said that kitsch relies on merely repeating convention and formula, lacking the sense of creativity and originality displayed in genuine art.

Though kitsch and kitschy may be terms used to criticize, the term is sometimes used as a compliment as well, with some finding kitschy artwork to be enjoyable for its "retro" value or unintentional, ironic humor or garishness.

That is exactly what I am going for.

No comments: